Sunday, August 26

Blog #30

I think I’m the only person in the world who can go to Africa which is a place associated with poverty and a great climate and come home fatter with less of a tan than I left with. It’s been an absolutely amazing experience and the effect it makes on my life has become even more obvious once I stepped foot back in this country and actually felt like I was back at home. It has been incredible and from being back week now, I really wish I was once again with the friends and people I have met over in Kenya. Don’t get me wrong, my family and friends here are awesome, it’s just, without sounding too dramatic, it does kind of feel as if some piece of me has been left behind.

Maybe I’m just feeling a little sorry for myself because my “time away” is now over and I have to return to normal life and continue with work and things as I did before I left. It’s quiet depressing to see how things have not changed much, yes roads and buildings have had some maintenance and some peoples lives have moved into maybe a new direction, but as for me, everything remains the way it was and because of that I’ve been even more inspired to make some changes in my life, even if they appear to be quite insignificant.

So the question is, how has it effected my life and what have I learnt from this 13 week experience. It’s not always been easy but compared to the lives many of the Kenyan people are living, mine has pretty much been a doddle. I was sheltered from most dangers and quite comfortable to say I was in a country that experienced poverty. I’m not ashamed to say that I lived well as I don’t think I could have stayed and hacked living in poor conditions for my three month period, but I am extremely happy with myself for taking this step and embarking on a journey that over a year ago I don’t think I would have even imagined doing.

I’ve realized that in my life I don’t necessarily need other people around me to allow me to complete something successfully but I do know that it is nice to have loving people around to encourage me and have the faith in myself to do it. I can do things on my own and that has been clarified for me, however I seriously do enjoy sharing my experiences with others so that my memories involve those who I also care a lot about. I took this opportunity as a way of testing the skills I have acquired in life so far and also to do some good and learn more about myself and others. I’m so glad that I was able to do this for myself and that I grabbed hold of it with both hands and did most of it alone without any really strong relationships already in place. It would be nice to maybe do something similar with friends in the future but as for now, I’m quite happy to say I did this one all by myself.

It became apparent to me that family is really important and in Kenya, families are much larger than the ones found back in the UK. Many families have four or more children and this is the case even if money, food and supplies are a struggle to get hold of. Love is everywhere and this love is shone onto us as visitors whenever we come in contact with the kind and generous Kenyan people. No matter how little they have they are always willing to show their appreciation for your company and do not hesitate in showering you with their love and gratefulness.

I feel very blessed to have had all the support and love that I did receive before, during and now that I have home safely in England. My time in Kenya saw me become friends with people who I was meeting for the first time and everyone made it very easy for me to feel part of this new crowd and make live happily. I received a lot of support from people back home in the emails online and with letters I collected through the post and it was so great to know I had lots of people routing for me back at home. I got calls from friends and the messages I did received were sometimes from people I really didn’t expect to take as much interest in me as they did. People I didn’t know that well were continuously praising me for my success and giving me that little more confidence and encouragement to stick it out to the best of my ability. I really have to say how grateful I am for all the friends and family that have been letting me know they have been praying for me and to all those who I have never met that showed interest and care in me, I am so thankful. I really cannot express how important and influential all the attention I received was but what I can say is that all this love really made my stay a lot more enjoyable and rewarding.

Coming back home leaving the compound in Kimilili, I had one last journey through the country and sat looking out of the window as morning broke and the sun rose up into the sky. In a matter of minutes the Kenyan morning mist and darkness had vanished and the sun was out shining and filling the sky with its radiant glow. It was beautiful and just what I needed for my final morning in Africa. So I made it successfully through all airports using the instructions Simon had kindly written out for me and embarked my journey into the air with a wide variety of films to watch and also the opportunity of some sleep if I wanted it. I spent some of the time thinking back over my time, sketching and also reading a card I had received from John and Emily just before the left for their continued adventure. I sat in my window seat reading through this jam packed two page card that was filled with memories and small stories from our times spent together. I’m a strong lover of quotes and it was really nice to see the way John had left me reference to a part of the Bible that just summed up my trip as a whole. Reading brought a tear to my eye and I did get emotional in places, but overall it was a great feeling and reinforced the fact that all the friendships I made were special and that even if I didn’t have them written own on paper, what I had done would be remembered for a life time.


All in all I had a blast and I did something that both I and the people who will be helped by it will remember forever. I have really learned and gained so much more from my time than I can ever write down in a blog or that I can ever express to someone who has asked me to describe my experience. I don’t think you can even fully prepare someone for Africa and I really do think it is one of those things where you actually have to be there and see it for yourself. Thinking back to the weeks before I was actually in Kenya, I remember people telling me that the whole experience would change my life. I never really knew what to expect from that comment and wasn’t sure whether I would change dramatically in the way I was or whether my personality would take a different direction. From being there and living with so many wonderful and passionate people, I now realise for myself what it means when someone says “Going to Africa will change your life”.

From a guy who was once described as the “city boy who once he got off the plane in Kisumu looked as though he wouldn’t last the whole three months”, I thank you once again for all the things we have shared and all the love and support you have given me. I hope you really enjoyed my blogs and even if I’m not the best writer in the whole world you got a lot from reading them. Thank you for paying so much attention to my journey in Africa and in my life as well. I’ve had a great time writing for you all and it has been a pleasure to be able to give you a piece of what I have been seeing across the world. Thank you to Matthew and the family I was with and also to the students who came and spent some time with me during and towards the end of my stay. I’ve had the best time and I wouldn’t change it for anything. God Bless all those out there working hard in Kenya and we should all keep praying and wishing them the best possible future. Ill look forward to seeing everyone in the future and I am also looking forward to meeting those of IcFEM I have not already met.

Thank you for all your efforts and I really do hope if you haven’t already, you get the same opportunity as me to go to Kenya, meet the people and have the best experience that will definitely, change your life forever.

God Bless once again xx Hebrews 13:8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there : )
Buying things on line or in-store? which often would you prefer? actually wondering lol.. i like in-store since i hate waiting for it to arrive!
Ty
Emily