Tuesday, August 21

Blog #29

It definitely feels weird to know that this time next week ill be at home doing who knows what, but know I won’t be here surrounded by all the lovely people and the so many friends I’ve made over the past three months. The time has just flown by and it doesn’t seem like that long ago that I was here on my first night, anxious on how the next 90 odd days were going to turn out. I know for sure this week is going to be an extremely emotional one and I reckon I'm going to be quite busy, here, there an everywhere, saying my goodbyes and see you soon. I know for sure that I would really like to come back here and once again see the people I have really grown to love. I never felt this bad about leaving England, but I guess I always knew I would return sometime soon. I remember sitting in the guesthouse lounge two weeks ago thinking how it was going to take forever for me to be close to my final day, but I was completely wrong and time is now ticking faster than that on Linford Christies watch.

I had been getting a bit behind with my blog recently and with this being my final week I was able to concentrate on this for most of Monday morning whilst the others spent their day in Dreamland and other places. After lunch I met with Antony where we head into town and hit the shops, searching for some food as tonight we were going to his place so that we could spend an evening eating together. Grabbing some green grams, rice and pepper we had almost collected our ingredients for tonight’s dinner. I then spent most of the afternoon in the office sitting talking with Caspar and Emma whilst continuing to work a little on my laptop.

Meeting Tony at 5, I quickly rode to the guesthouse to collect some extra clothes to keep me warm, as well as Dennis who was accompanying Tony and me. We rode along the muddy interior roads and shortly arrived at Tony’s house where we began to prepare dinner. I made my small contribution by washing up the pots and plates needed to use for our food in a small bucket with limited water, whilst the others organised themselves in the kitchen with the green grams and rice. We sat doing our various jobs as it began to get dark, with only a small gas lantern to brighten the room and also a radio playing some tunes from a national radio station. This whole evening’s activity reminded me slightly of camping, without being too disrespectful but with all of us pitching in for what was later a successful meal, it really felt comfortable and homely.

Once dinner was ready we called Festus and all sat together eating the well prepared meal we had knocked up in the last hour or so. It was delicious and we each had fair amounts to share. By now it was getting pitch black and it was probably best to head back home. At first we were a little hesitant whether we could manage with the bikes, but decided we could just about succeed and walked back pushing our bikes to the main muddy road using a very unreliable torch. Along the road home, Dennis had a slight unfortunate accident and fell off his bike. It was one of those moments where you really wanted to laugh as he too was laughing himself, however because he was wearing my relatively new jacket, I found it a little hard to find it fully amusing.

Back at the guesthouse the guys were just coming to the end of Cool Runnings so I joined them in the lounge and ironed a few items before bed.

Tuesday morning was pretty much even more chilled out and I had chance to catch up with more blogs and get them published. At lunch time I was seated in the guesthouse dining room with Ken and Valerie Jones who were staying for a few days as they were friends of Anne’s.

Back again at the guesthouse in the evening the guys began to watch Coach Carter on DVD so I stuck around for a little until going to bed before the end. It was quite unfortunate that the power cut off for a few seconds maybe five minutes before the film ended, because I heard the guys over in the lounge sigh as they had to reset the DVD player.

Wednesday morning found me sat in the last full morning devotion of my stay where all the devotion groups came together for one large message. I was blessed with the opportunity in giving a reading and was very wonderfully prayed for by John Wibbly as he, accompanied by Solomon, Matthew and Edward laid their hands on me. I was kneeling down as they spoke so many kind words about my stay and also as they wished me a safe and pleasant journey home and through life. I was quite touched by the care and love they presented me with and it made me feel good to know my stay had for every second been appreciated.

After spending a little time at the office I decided I should go back to the guesthouse and start packing as I knew Thursday could be my main day for saying goodbyes and I wanted to be prepared and ready so I could relax and take every final moment in. Most of my things were soon neatly stacked and pressed together with only a small number of remaining items, like my sleeping clothes left to pack. Before returning to the office after dinner I sat talking with the Dutch girls and Mark for a while, soaking my feet and absorbing the sun.

The guys wanted one final taste of the fine food that is from Kim’s Dishes so we dashed into town just making it under shelter before the rain came down. Tony, Matthew and I occupied one table whilst Dennis and some others took their seats else where in the packed out café. We waited around until the rain stopped which probably lasted around 40 minutes. The sky was from this time onwards gloomy and more or less stayed like this until it became dark.

This evening we had been invited to Elizabeth’s house for a meal and as we had not been able to make it there after weeks of invites, we though this was the last opportunity to visit so we took Patrick and the Mission landrover and headed to Buko. At the house we were served by the best food. Fried chicken, which I hadn’t eaten yet along my stay, and it was delicious, especially mixed with ketchup. We spent most of the evening chatting and the main subject of conversation was the wedding on Saturday that found one of Elizabeth’s sons the groom. It was getting late once again so we set off back in the landrover on the dark and empty roads.

Back in Kimilili we dropped off Patrick near his home and Dennis, who recently passed his test, got a treat and was able to drive the landrover safely back home

My final morning and everything that I did, I emphasised to the other guests that this was the last time I would do it. I had my last breakfast and my last morning devotion and I also had my last trip to the market in Kimilili town. We wandered round as the Dutch team got their tour and at the same time looked for two old bikes to use to make a wheelchair. They were successful in finding two ex boda-boda bicycles to use as parts for their project so they walked with them by they side from the market back to the guesthouse.

Back at the office I purchased some animal carvings and just after id packed away my two, Robert presented my with a giraffe carving as a goodbye gift from him. I was very happy with the gift and told him it was from one technician to another and that I would certainly take it to my work in England and have a part of Africa with my as I worked.

After lunch I took a trip to Marks house to see where he lived and have a little chat with him properly before I left. It was nice to see his small but comfortable home but unfortunately his wife and child were away so I didn’t get to meet them this time.

A week previously I spotted a key ring that said I LOVE AFRICA on it and I was really disappointed when I didn’t have the chance to make the purchase as it suited things so well. I spent some of the afternoon with Dennis going to the house of the man who makes them and without any luck left continuing to visit Helen, the other cook at the guesthouse.

In the late afternoon I managed to speak with Pamela, someone I worked along side with during the holiday club and she was going to attempt to track me a key ring down before I left. I gave her the money and off she went where she would get back to me later.

At the end of the day it was time to leave the office for the last time and at this stage it was also time to say my final goodbyes to Tony a dear friend I had made and had good memories with over my stay. I felt to get a bit emotional and it was quite hard to say goodbye and explain how much of a pleasure it was to have met him. I then walked back towards the guesthouse where I stopped off to see Mike and Edgar one last time before I left.

I made it home by the Simba where I was presented with my I LOVE AFRICA key ring and it made my day. It had been collected for me and just moments before was passed to Matthew to deliver it to me before I left. Tonight I would be eating over at the house for my final meal so I had to try and fit in as many things as I could do before I proceeded over to the house as it was now approaching 6pm. I went into the guesthouse lounge and met with a new lady from Holland who was with her husband and they were staying for a few days. Spending some time with the five I had been spending a lot of time with over the past couple of weeks, I sat them down and said thank you to them and wished them all good luck along their stay. It was kind of hard to imagine that this could be the last time I would see all of them if I wasn’t to visit them wherever they live round the world, but at the same time it made me feel good that I had positive things to say and that I had made some good friends.

Matthew and I took a trip to Mount Crest for one last soda and spent some time chilling and had a nosey at one of the guestrooms they had to offer. We soon made our way back in the dark where I was dreading eating over at the house as I knew it could get emotional.

At the house we all sat around in the dark as the power had just suddenly gone out on us. We had a couple of candles distributed around the room which gave off just enough light to see each other and the food we were eating. I ate some traditional food with a full table of people and then we all went to sit around the family seating area to talk and pray.

Everyone was so kind and had lots of nice things to say to me wishing me fare well. I also added with a little something I wanted to say and thanked everyone for their love and support over my three month stay. I really thought it would be emotional for me but once I was seated and begun speaking, everything just became calm and I was filled with happiness rather than sadness. It was sad to be leaving but I knew I could and should be glad to have made so many new friends and memories and not dwell on the fact it was now coming to an end. It was now time to leave the house for the final time and leave for the guesthouse to be up early in the morning.

Back at the guesthouse the guys had been waiting up for me to say that last minute goodbyes. They had spent most of their evening sitting in the dark eating previously prepared popcorn and wanted to get in a few words before I went to bed. They were all so nice and said their goodbyes with handshakes and hugs and then we all went our separate ways so that I could sleep and be up for 4am to leave with Hosea in the Taxi.

God Bless x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips! Maybe I'll come back to read more comments here.
Let us all express our opinions here. Do you think random babbles like this should be allowed to hang in threads or should they be erased? Share your opinions.
What's a good starting point for launching an interesting blog? I want people to come and read my articles, and I want to see lots of comments.
I'm a little slow, please don't remove my comments or I will get upset.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.